Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Strongbow type tug  (Read 43576 times)

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Re: Strongbow type tug
« Reply #225 on: November 18, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »
ooop's been in this situation several times  :16

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2020, 07:27:05 AM »

Thanks Damien, I believe we are not the only ones to have experienced smoking wires.  ::)

Replaced the resistor and now it works.
The picture is not very good because mast lights are much brighter than the position lights. I'm not the photo shop wizard and when I try to lower the intensity in the picture the 3 mast lights become visible as 3, but everything else disappears. So please be forgiving.
For the contact from the lower part to the superstructure I tried something different because the magnet solution is very complicated.
I used thin self-adhesive copper foil. It is used to make stained glass windows and the adhesive supports liquid solder very well.
A strip on each side gives a very reliable contact area.
The wiring of the LEDs is not final. I will do some clean-up and route the wires nicely.

Jurgen

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
Hullo Jurgen.....I am progressing on very slowly

Could you please confirm [with photographs] of the method of waterproofing or eliminating water from the splash of the wheels from migrating along the paddle shaft into the hull :nono

I am moving the paddle shaft axis from above the crank axis  by 20mm to below the crank axis by 40mm [yes 60 total]

This then elevates the complete steam plant considerably [~~45mm] and so will be far more visible .... I will post a few images in my Saito Engine page

Derek  :beer

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2020, 06:39:25 AM »

Hi Derek,

If you go back to post #97 on page 7 I have shown pictures of the "splash-guard" I built to cover the bearings. It is not completely tight but has worked flawlessly - not a drop of water inside the ship. It covers from the splash from above.
Drawback: it requires the wheel housing to be removable.
The bearing itself has no further seals like an O-ring or similar. It doesn't seem to need any.
The bearing is a simple bronce bearing and the shaft is a 6mm stainless rod I bought in a shop that sells parts for DIY 3D printers. The material is incredibly hard, I needed 3 of the Dremel cutting disks to cut the shaft to size.
A drop of oil seems to be enough for sealing and lubrication.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #229 on: December 22, 2020, 06:44:22 AM »

So I finally have my color laser printer back in working order. Last time I had ordered new OEM toner cartridges the printer would no accept 2 of them. The contact to the service was not satisfying at all, so the printer sat there for a couple of years.
But last week a friend was able to hack the printer and make it accept the cartridges so I'm back in business and finally could print the decals for the machine telegraphs.

The captain is not very happy because the unit doesn't have a handle and he can't send any orders to the engine room.
But that's another story because I tried to make the handles as photo etched parts. That went thoroughly wrong.
I purchased a special paper which allows any print to be transferred to copper or brass by applying heat. Then the part is submerged in some acid which eats away the non-covered part. Well, the print wouldn't stick to the metal. My guess is that I didn't use enough heat, because in some parts it did transfer and stuck very well, but out of 6 which I had printed none was complete..
More testing will follow.

Have a nice holiday and a better (can it become worse?) next year.

Jurgen
Be positive to stay negative.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: December 22, 2020, 09:05:14 AM »
 :bravo :clap :bravo :clap Looks great Jurgen.

Offline andy

• Model of paddle steamer DIESSEN 1:20
« Reply #231 on: December 27, 2020, 05:34:30 AM »
Fine model! Did you already check, if it will swim and light enough?

Andreas

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #232 on: December 30, 2020, 02:14:58 AM »
Thanks Damien.

Hi Andy,
Yes she has been in the water and behaved well. If you go back to Reply 216 on the previous page I have posted a video.
Light enough? All the oposite. She needs almost 10kg of ballast.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:16:46 AM by Paddlemex »

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2021, 03:36:25 AM »
Hello,

It's been some time, but I'm still here.
After some quite frustrating atempts to make photo eched parts for the machine telegraph bracket I decided to leave it and do someting else. Like building a plane and repairing others.

In the meantime a fellow modeler made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the model. So it's not mine anymore, but she still sat on my slipway and required to be finished.
So I went back and cut the bracket on my mill. That went surprisingly well, I didn't think that 0.1mm brass would cut cleanly without crinkeling.
The first lever was glued to the bracket but that didn't hold well so I changed to a small solder point. That holds . :azn:

I also added some interior to the wheelhouse. I don't know what the red lamp on the table is for, but saw something similar on a picture in the internet and thought it looked good. Maybe it's for some emergency use.
Also added flags.

So now I declare the model to be finished.

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2021, 07:27:23 PM »
Very precise, Jürgen. It looks like not as a model, but a real ship.

Thomas

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2021, 11:32:51 AM »
Thank you Thomas.

I didn't mention that I also changed the cabin lighting to smaller LEDs. Looks much better now.
Normally we have a late meet in the dark at the pond the first  sunday after changing to winter time. Since the ship stays in good hands I will still see her and make a video at the night sailing.

Jurgen