Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Rhone paddlesteamers  (Read 910 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Rhone paddlesteamers
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:23:06 PM »
I got an interesting french book via amazon: "Vapeurs sur le Rhone" with plans and photos of amazing Rhone paddlers. It contents also the original plans of "Pilat" type paddlers - a small serial of identcal ships, built by Schneider & Creusot. This vessels were much longer than in the plan by Bernard Retif. The bow area was sloping. Also one passenger paddler, built by Escher & Wyss, very similar to the Swiss lake steamers. Interesting also the very long and narrow boats like "Missouri".

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: Rhone paddlesteamers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »
Some further pictures - one very special wheelboat...

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:13:53 AM »
Some pictures of "Pilat", my second steam model, first was the "Victoria" by Krick in 1989. I built the "Pilat in the same year. Lenght was extended from 140 to 150 cm, because of better proportions. The boiler is made of brass with a lenght of 200 mm and diameter of 80 mm diameter. is fixed with a 35 mm.    The flametube of 35 mm has some crosstubes. This was my first home made boiler I made, it ´s in functionable condition until today. Engine is a oscillating one of 10 mm bore and 20 mm stroke.
The "Pilat" wasn`t in use for more than 15 years, but condition is well, I made a test run of boiler and engine just 3 days ago.

Thomas

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:49:11 AM »
Very nice Thomas......

[just how many Paddlers do you have? :whistle....and was this built in another workshop before your current loft shop with abundant natural light?]

As always you engines interest me greatly.....we see this is a 10x20 twin oscillator...and we se two gear reductions

:thinking do we see maybe 3:1......and another 3:1 reductions...or approx. a 6:1 total?.......

Another question.....what is the approximate displacement?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
:thinking do we see maybe 3:1......and another 3:1 reductions...or approx. a 6:1 total?.......

Derek

3:1 and then 3:1 again gives a total of 9:1 reduction surely? Or has my maths gone totally to pot? ;)

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:44:49 AM »
Hi Derek and Eddy,

well watched! Yes, this is one of the models, which are located in the house of my mother - Pilat lays less noticed in the cellar for many years.
Gear reduction must be 1 : 9 totally. This boat saw little operation, today I perceive it`s as a little gross. As I remember, deplacement was approximately 8 - 9 kg.
I have now 16 paddlers, 14 are steam driven, included the yet unfinished "Courier". 2 paddlers are without propulsion, one of them, the "City of Bath" in former times has had a small steam engine. "Courier" will be finished in the next weeks.

Thanks
Thomas

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 06:42:12 AM »
Ahah......thanks Thomas......

It was a little difficult to count the teeth in a gear I could only partially see in Munsgen Germany from Wollongong Australia

So just just guessed at 3:1 for the second reduction and the first reduction gear appeared smaller......If you tell us it is 9:1.....my guessing of teeth number was OK

With 14 steam driven paddlers, I am sure you will be the Record Holder member for this achievement

Congratulations.....Derek
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:44:26 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 07:54:12 PM »
Hi Derek,

Münsingen greets Wollongong!