Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Colour schemes and steam winches etc  (Read 434 times)

Offline Trouper12

• Paddleducks Supporter
Colour schemes and steam winches etc
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »
My project is a freelance "Edwardian' PS (UK), 1:76 (i.e. small!) scale. Hoping to get details reasonably correct, I would be grateful for expert advice on the following:
   1) can anyone point me to detailed descriptions of the colour schemes used by pre-WW1 paddle steamer companies? (Most books have B/W photos, which aren't a lot of help.)
    2) Langley Models do a diecast steam winch in 'my' scale. This is lifted from one of their Clyde Puffer kits, so the period is probably OK. However a winch, as opposed to a windlass, sounds like cargo handling rather than anchor raising. Would an excursion steamer have used a steam winch? What does a steam windlass look like?
    3) Pictures of deck fittings in general on PSs (or similar craft) - e.g. bollards (type, siting etc), fairleads, navigation lights, anchor stowage, scuppers etc etc.
Any comments gratefully received
Michael R

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: Colour schemes and steam winches etc
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:00:17 PM »
Welcome Michael..... :coffee ....your question is however a little open ended suggesting ..' freelance "Edwardian' PS (UK), ,  then defining steam component winches as compared to windlasses'

So the answer to your question essentially must be qualified by the size/displacement/tonnage of the prototypical vessel which you would then create your freelance vessel against......the size of the vessel you choose will dictate the type or class of steam deck gear, and also all of those ancillaries' you mention

The scale you propose [1:76] is a measurement yard stick only.......but this can only be applied to the  prototypical vessel

There are hundreds of images and links in our PD files which could relate to a "freelance Edwardian' PS (UK] built paddler

Why not spend a few hours researching our archives........

Derek :beer

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:26:27 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Trouper12

• Paddleducks Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:56:56 PM »
Hallo Derek
Point(s) taken, and good idea! Actually I have looked round the forum, which is a marvellous resource, a bit overwhelming actually. But I'll do as you suggest. Thank you. I've also bought a pile of books about PSs.
I'd better say a little bit more about my project (is this the right bit of the forum to do it?). I have some modelling but no engineering skills. I'd like to create (probably as a one off) a small steam-powered model paddle steamer. It's based on the 'Edwardian Paddle Steamer' kit available from Forest Classics. The kit itself is frankly naff in many respects, and completely unsuitable (in my view) as a working model, let alone steam-powered. I have therefore used the hull as a mould to make a gumstrip hull, which has worked extremely well - the result is very light and very strong. I am now working on paddle boxes etc. I am using (but not necessarily copying) the drawings with the kit, but the superstructure will be made (almost entirely) of 0.8 mm birch ply, which can be cut with a craft knife, and is very light.
Steam unit etc is still a long way down the line, but I've looked at feasibility. Because of the small size (loa 26'', and slim) I think it will be Hielscher's 'Andreas' engine with matching boiler. I've also got to fit RC in (also a first for me).
The 'prototype' for the kit appears to be an Edwardian-era excursion paddler about 150 ft long; I have no idea where she comes from originally, or what her displacement would be. So, Derek, that's my prototype, such as it is. I want my model to be authentic-looking, but you can see why I call it 'freelance'.
I'll go on doing the research you suggest.
Michael R
That's it, so far. Progress is slow because it has to fit

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
Hullo again Michael .....good to see you reading our archives  :breakcomp

Another consideration is to join a local model boating group, preferably with a steam  :gathering contingent........world wide and invariably, you will find within these groups, individuals who will offer constructive comment....even on proposals or ideas

Try & display to the group that you have researched...[add a few plan copies or engine data sheets in your paperwork folder etc] 

Model steam in the UK is a carefully monitored and licenced [certified] engineering hobby.......it would be certainly preferable for any such Club you considered joining if it had a licenced Boiler Inspector in it's ranks ...just because you can import a boiler & engine........you will need your local Boiler Inspector to review your purchase documentation [including a Boiler Pressure Test Certificate] prior to lighting & running such boiler at your local boating pond on any day, and without first attaining your UK Boiler Certificate approval

Sorry if I have laboured on with this point, however it is essential to gain a complete understanding of the requirements of using even a small steam plant such as the 'Hielscher's 'Andreas' engine with matching boiler' you show

In many ways, the concept of commencement of planning with known elements [say engine & boiler] then the design/type and physical size could evolve from these ....rather than saying the vessel will be X displacement & Y length  with Z breadth.......then try to source :41 a steam plant to fit 

Derek

PS...with respect to the current thread file location, yes you are certainly in the R&D stage....so by all means keep the thread under one file.......in months to come, if needed you could ask a Moderator to transfer the complete file ...your call...to me, nothing is more :ranting frustrating than a build that is disjointed into 4 or so different Folders
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:24:06 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:14:42 PM »
Very good to hear from you Derek. U.K. boiler regs way over the top. that's all I will say. Now building my 7th boiler. All my own design, four of which are very unconventional.  Latest posted in Totnes Castel.
G.Y.