Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Totnes Castle  (Read 9484 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: Totnes Castle
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2017, 04:14:49 AM »
Thank you both, just camera into look at her replacement knee. Which has gone wrong. The patient slept most of yesterday, so managed a little play.
Cut and joined 3 plates, beet to shape on the padding on my stool. Cleaned the edges with sand paper & steel wool. Tinned where they join, big soldering iron is ideal. Seeing as I may have success I will now fit edging around the top to strengthen the edge of the tin. 
The reason for tin plate, I have a plan of the Duchess of Fife specifying this method. I was afraid to try before now. 
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2017, 01:21:57 AM »
Over the weekend I had been thinking maybe it would be easer to epoxy the plates together. Having almost finished the 2 bottom strakes I will continue soldering. Finding it easer with each plate, as I learn, little tricks. Cleaning the plates with a sanding drum (dermal), keep the plate flat on the bench. Otherwise the plate will cruel up and destroy the sand paper. Don't put to much solder on the iron, or I get lumps of solder as it runs down. I am now holding the plates in place with masking tape. That is working well. Two strakes are taking almost half a can, as there are 12 strakes I will cut up 2 more cans.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2017, 02:06:27 AM »
Plating almost, well finished one side, just three more on the other. Drilling the portholes with a cone drill. Holding with grips don't want to cut my fingers. Sized to fit brass tube, (chromed will skim off) That will be the surrounds, fitted after finished painting the hull.
G.Y.

Online DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »
 :great :great

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2017, 10:58:07 PM »
Thanks Damien. Soldering almost finished. I have used two different melting point solders, I found that very useful. Tip don't keep you legs under the solder point, OW!
The foam mould removed along with the wooden frame. Will be replacing the frame around the deck level, and the two bulkheads each side of the engine room. Bulkheads will be recut 15mm deeper, to allow for the extra depth to accommodate the different boiler. This will be cut to the mark, keeping the shorter section, the stick is on the shaft line.  Need to clean up the outside and stop the leaks, Yes there are a few, but then to few to mention.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2017, 02:24:36 AM »
The Hull plating finished except for a few leaks. When they are sorted, I will be giving T.C. another rest. I have to repair my lathe, I will then be concentrating on competing my traction engine.   
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2018, 10:23:32 PM »
Bearings fitted in to wooden blocks in to sides of hull. Bedded in silicone with stainless steel plate bolted over keeping them in. Boiler tube cut fire tube assembled not soldered. As I have to test the burner in such a short tube before the bend need to see if it stays alight, or burn at the top of funnel.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2018, 08:05:06 AM »
In the last post are shown the gears picked from my scrap box. These are for the engine to shaft drive, need to be about 3 to 1. will see which fit best. The engine built for another model is a tight fit, so will make a smaller one.
The fire tube complete, fitted in tube. Remainder of tube cut and flattened for the end caps.
G.Y.