Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: RMS Connaught , 1860 (was: taking pictures at the London Science Museum)  (Read 20841 times)

Offline waldenmodels

Hello,
I'm researching the four-funnel paddle steamer "Connaught" of 1860. I understand that the London Science Museum exhibits a 1/48 scale model and was wondering if any member here lives close to the museum and would be so kind as to take a number of detailed pictures of the model for me. Here is one picture I found on the web:

Thank you very much!

Oliver
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:31:54 AM by waldenmodels »
My precision card models of unusual 19th century vessels are available at: http://www.waldenmodels.com
- Paddle Tug "Anglia"
- Cigar Yacht "Ross Winans"
- Russian Steam Yacht "Livadia"
- Torpedo Boat U.S.S. "Alarm"
- Obelisk Barge "Cleopatra"

Offline Walter Snowdon

Re: Taking Photos at London Science Museum
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »
I seem to remember seing a good fold out plan and lecture notes on Connaught in a copy of  THE TRANSACTIONS OF THE INSTITUTE OF MARINE ARCHITECTS. I cant remotely remember which year but it would have been shortly after the building of her. These volumes are exremely large and the nearest collection to me is in the Sunderland library- the staff have to get them from the basement and last time i was there needed a sack-barrow to carry four volumes! Regards, Walter.

Offline waldenmodels

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:42:48 AM »
Thank you, Walter! Unfortunately that won't be an option for me :(  I don't think there are holdings on this side of the Atlantic either, though I will check. Would you be able to take a look if you happen to do research there? I'm in no hurry - I figure this is at least a couple of years away.

I did find a deck plan for the "Ulster" on the French Govt site, which may do for the general proportions. Together with detailed pictures of the Science Museum model that may be sufficient to develop a 1:250 card model. I've done something similar with the "Livadia" for which a kind lady in Glasgow made a trip to the Transport Museum for me.

Cheers,

Oliver
My precision card models of unusual 19th century vessels are available at: http://www.waldenmodels.com
- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »
I don't live near the museum but do often go to london and sometimes take a look inside (it's free!) I'll be sure to get some pictures of the model next time I go.
I think this was it (?) last time I just took general pictures of almost everything paddler-related and don't remember what all the models were!
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline waldenmodels

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 06:32:35 AM »
Hi Mick - yes, thank you, that's exactly what I need! I'll be happy to send you copies of my current card model kits if you're interested, and of this one when it's done!  There's no rush, I have plenty to do in the meantime, but when you do get to the museum I would greatly appreciate the following pictures:
- Close-up shots of the deck (in overlapping sections, so that everything is covered at least once)
- Close-up shots of a paddle wheel & box, level, if possible
- Head-on shots of bow and stern, respectively
- Hull-level profile shots of the hull and superstructure, in sections if necessary.
- Masts and rigging.

Again, thank you so very much!

Cheers,

Oliver
- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:59:21 AM »
Hi Oliver,

graceful elegant lines - remenbers to me to  the blockade runner "Hope" of the same decade.

If you get any further informations about her or sources of plans or drawings - please tell it to me.

I would be very interestet for some material.

regards Tom

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 06:46:17 AM »
I'll probably go there this weekend so I'll be sure to take a camera :)
Posted by Mick.

greateastern

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »
Tom,
The plans for the Connaught are in  John Scott Russell's book --A Modern System of Naval Architecture (1865), vol 3, plates CXXII and CXXIII and listed there as the Holyhead Royal Irish Mail Steamer.  They are complete and more than enough for any model project. Most of the plates are of ships he designed and a few by other designers but he was modest for everyone and didn't say which ships generally. In this case he mentions the sister ships and so it is easy to work backwards and discover it is the Connaught and Leinster built in Samuda's yard, the two others Ulster and Munster  built by Laird.

Offline waldenmodels

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
@Mick - thank you very much, I really appreciate it and look forward to the pictures!

@Greateastern - Thank you also - that's great news that plans do exist! I googled "A Modern System of Naval Architecture" immediately. Alas, I found no accessible copies within a reasonable distance from me.

Cheers,

Oliver
- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline waldenmodels

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 06:09:56 AM »
So... I was actually able to find a copy of "The Modern System of Naval Architecture" at a university near me (I knew there was one good reason for living in Massachusetts) It took about an hour and $2.70, but now I'm proud possessor of a complete set of plans for the "Holyhead Irish Mail" steamer. The plans comprised hull lines half-breadth, sheer lines, profiles and deck plans for one four-funnel vessel, and more deck plans for a second, two-funnel ship. The four-funnel liner must be one of the other three sisters of the Connaught, because the plans show a square stern, whereas the Connaught model shows a round one. No matter, though, the second vessel has a round stern and appears to have generally the same dimensions, so I'll be able to cobble things together. Then again - is the Connaught model "Gospel", i.e. as-built? Who knows? Either way, this ought to be a splendid little project. Thank you all for supporting me!

Cheers,

Oliver 
- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 08:47:35 PM »
Hi Oliver

The Connaught has to be one of the most elegant paddlers ever. I presume you have this photo?
all the best

Stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
Looks like some of the messages in this thread disappeared so in case anyone didn't see the photos (and would like to see them) here's the link again - http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x66/mjt60a/ps%20connaught/?start=0
Posted by Mick.

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »
Ah Mick!

thank you so much for these - I obviously missed them first time around - beautiful.

Stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline waldenmodels

I've got my copies sorted out and am off to what I hope is a good start :)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:28:56 AM by waldenmodels »
- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline Stuart Badger

oh - she's long and skinny isn't she Oliver?! I can see that a working model of her needs to be big for some degree of stability. You have captured a lovely shape there. I'm STILL waiting for my drawings from the British Library!

Stuart
Stuart