Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Live steam / Re: Blockade runner PS "Hope", major refit
« Last post by DamienG on Today at 10:39:11 AM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap
« Last post by Hankwilliams on October 14, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
Just watch first rate video from our member Don about his very exactly built blockade runner "Presto". Really very good film: Paddle Steamer Presto, Civil War Blockade Runner on youtube.
« Last post by DamienG on October 12, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
« Last post by Hankwilliams on October 12, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »
Derek, many interesting questions: The underwater form of the hull is rather sharp and like the original these ships were built for speed. Some blockade runners reached 20 nautical miles in good conditions (sail and steam). Even the model... there is much more speed compared for example with the PS "China" with her wide, box like underwater shaping. I dont know the number of revolutions of the paddleshaft when she is in water, but one time we measured the speed with hight steam pressure between 3 - 4 bar at the shore. She reached nearly 2 meter per second, but pressure goes down after a some minutes.
There wasn`t a kit of "Hope", I made the carvings of brass with fretsaw after plan. I hope(!), next week I will be able to made a trip with the model and show some pictures, autumn climate in Germany until yet is warm and sunny. There was very less rain since months. "Hope" from beginning on was one of my non problematic models - good nautic stability, no toplast and fast speed. "Mt. Washington" is susceptible for wind. The "Courier", last built model, has a tendency of list because of her narrowness. From my modest experience the paddlesteamer modelling and driving with steam or electric is much more difficult than driving any screw propulsed model - but this is the challenge. When the model shows a good presentation, the joy even is great!
« Last post by derekwarner_decoy on October 12, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »
Thomas....I like the Hopes new Wheel Box radial gold tapered side slat sections  :bravo

From image IMG_0285, the unloaded wheel speed appears rather high......is she a fast mover in the water?

The gold painted style filigree ships carvings at the stern, were they from the original kit [24 years ago] & are they brass?

Derek

« Last post by Hankwilliams on October 12, 2018, 05:17:29 AM »
Thanks, Damian. I still had some tombac letters in stock - may be, ships name at paddlebox mirror in this case isn`t original, but I think it looks nice.
Two pictures of the "Colonel Lamb" from New Vanguard book "Blockade runners". Also an interesting and elegant ship.
« Last post by DamienG on October 11, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »
Love your refit Thomas looks great :no1b
« Last post by Hankwilliams on October 11, 2018, 01:17:52 AM »
Now I`m nearly finished with the refit of PS"Hope". Today I made a R/C, engine and boiler test, all was ok. The funnels got a new paint, also the copper tubes and vents are polished. In relation to the built of the model 24 years ago, the works donīt take much time and expense.

I own some literature about blockade runners of American civul war - yet I`m considering of my next built. May be the blockade runner "Colonel Lamb", also made by Quiggins shipyard in Liverpool. The C. L. has had the same hull like the"Hope", but different superstructures. I also have the plan of PS "Presto", a very elegant lined ship, but probably in scale 1 : 48 too less capable of carrying a steam propulsion.
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Re: Clean humour.
« Last post by DamienG on October 10, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »
A wholesaler in New York sent a letter to the postmaster of a small Midwestern town. He asked for the name of an honest lawyer who would take a collection case against a local debtor who had refused to pay for a shipment of the wholesaler's goods. He got this reply: Dear Sir: I am the postmaster of this village and received your letter. I am also an honest lawyer and ordinarily would be pleased to accept a case against a local debtor. In this case, however, I also happen to be the person you sold? those crummy goods to. I received your demand to pay and refused? to honor it. I am also the banker you sent the draft to draw on the merchant, and I sent that back with a note stating that the? merchant had refused to pay. ?If I were not, for the time being, substituting for the pastor of our local church, I would tell you just what I thought of your claim.
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Re: Clean humour.
« Last post by DamienG on October 09, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »
A widowed lady, travelling alone, was taking a long plane trip back to where she & her husband both grew up. Upon arriving at the airport she informed the airline that she wanted to take her dog with her in the cabin. She became angry when the airline told her she couldn't, but finally gave in and allowed them to put the dog in the baggage compartment. The airline pilot told her, "It will be warm & pressurized in there, & your dog should be just fine. Nothing to worry about." Upon arrival at the first fuel stop, the crew went to check on the dog and found it dead! The airline crew quickly ran all over town until they found a dog of the same color, height, weight, and sex & put it in the cage in place of the dead dog. Upon arrival at their final destination, they hand delivered the lady her dog. Quite surprised, the woman says, "Sorry, but that's not my dog! Could you please go get *my* dog?" The airline pilot replies, "Sure it's your dog. Look! It's the same height, weight, color, & sex as when we loaded it." The lady again insisted, "THIS, IS *NOT* MY DOG!" The airline pilot asks her, "Just how do you know that this isn't your dog?" The widow answers. . . . "Because my dog was dead! I was taking it home to bury it next to my husband!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10