Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Construction / Re: Josie Olsen
« Last post by DamienG on February 24, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »
The sliding doors morphed into hinged doors as they were to high. opp's

The cut and polish sort of worked it can stay as it is now.

I've hidden the worst of the primer bleed through with some woven 3mm dia cord liberally coated with dope and hung to dry with a weight on the end and left overnight to dry.

Next day a bead of balsa glue put around lower deck-cabin join.

Started on windows for the want of correct word the top the rear of the upper deck roof using 2 7mm strip of mirror tile and 3mm brown pinstripe tape, the lined strip of paper at the top of the pic had the correct spacing for the frame uprights i used it to mark the spacing on the wood for the position of the frame uprights.

Had to call it quits too dangerous to work with double vision it comes And goes a side effect of radiation treatment to the head.
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Re: Heat
« Last post by DamienG on February 20, 2018, 04:46:02 PM »
Mid January 1985 we up stakes and moved from central Victoria to Western Au. The Nullarbor plain was worst heat I've ever endured 56c or 132.8F in the car a Datsun Stanza towing 6' x 4' trailer With Damien Jnr sandwiched between seat to roof boxes in the rear when we stopped for the night the motel aircon was dead 49c or 118.4F no chance of sleep the trip was 2500km over 4 days.
Research / Re: Paddle wheel to engine size
« Last post by Benji on February 20, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
Thanks!   I thought it may of been a ratio similar.

I have both of Bates's books.  I had to go looking again, and sure enough, I missed the table of ratios he had. 
Construction / Re: Totnes Castle
« Last post by R.G.Y. on February 20, 2018, 08:05:06 AM »
In the last post are shown the gears picked from my scrap box. These are for the engine to shaft drive, need to be about 3 to 1. will see which fit best. The engine built for another model is a tight fit, so will make a smaller one.
The fire tube complete, fitted in tube. Remainder of tube cut and flattened for the end caps.
Research / Re: Paddle wheel to engine size
« Last post by Bierjunge on February 20, 2018, 07:57:33 AM »
A standard ratio between engine stroke and wheel diameter would be 1:3.
There are many more typical ratios for western river steamboats, all derived from piston diameter, in Alan bates highly recommendable book "The Western River Steamboat Cyclopoedium".

Moritz
Research / Paddle wheel to engine size
« Last post by Benji on February 20, 2018, 04:18:42 AM »
Howdy all!

Is there a standard ratio of wheel size to engine stroke on sternwheel boats?   Ive been trying to determine this for a model I am working on to get the correct dimension for the crank and for the model of the lever engine.  It appears that the kit has an incorrect crank, and I am trying to find what size stroke the engine would have for a 15 ft diameter wheel.

Benji
Paddlewheels/Drive Systems / Re: Bay Of Quinte
« Last post by Twain on February 18, 2018, 04:30:30 PM »
I've already started on my next model, or at least the engine for it--and it is steam-driven. I've  completed the steam-powered outboard motor for the Polly Wog launch described in the August, 1933 issue of Popular Mechanics. It's just a matter of time till I get to the boat....
« Last post by Hankwilliams on February 18, 2018, 04:43:27 AM »
Thanks Twain

yes, it`s my "Mt. Washington". Draught was extended because of the weight of the engine. Perhaps your next model will be steam driven...

Thomas
« Last post by Twain on February 17, 2018, 12:42:53 AM »
Is that yours, Thomas? It's very impressive.

I decided against steam because of my fear of fire, but that paddler looks very tempting. For now, I'll complete the electrics in the Bay of Quinte and settle for my Krick Victoria, but the thought of steam will always be there....
« Last post by Hankwilliams on February 16, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »
Hi Twain,

what`s about a real working walking beam engine with steam? The draught and breadht of the model seems sufficient to make it`s steam driven. With parts usual in trade the expense would be not too big...

Thomas
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10