Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Re: What you don't need at this time of year
« Last post by DamienG on Today at 10:32:48 AM »
Indeed Rick it doesn't help being in Gov't housing area, I placed stickers saying smile your on camera at the doors and gates along with dummy cameras & a motion detector at front door.
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Re: What you don't need at this time of year
« Last post by R.Groff on Today at 06:46:07 AM »
Hi Damien
Isn't it sad we are more suspicious of people to-day shows how people have in my mind changed but locks are only for honest people .
Rick
Construction / Re: New project started: Irrawaddy paddler "Mindan" 1948
« Last post by DamienG on January 17, 2019, 09:50:24 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
« Last post by Hankwilliams on January 17, 2019, 03:47:15 AM »
The hull is nearly ready, the white color is from the glue. Next work will be a coat of one component epoxy resin (G 4) inside and outside of the hull for complete watertightness.
Research / Re: Seeking info about gangway on the deck of a SS
« Last post by derekwarner_decoy on January 15, 2019, 10:47:10 PM »
Ilhan

Again I see the text words 'For Detail of Gangway see Separate Plan', however I do not believe it [the gangway] would be stored athwart ships in such a vulnerable place where passengers would walk ...clearly it would have been a hazard for the very crowded passenger numbers 

You could research passenger paddlers of similar age/tonnage used in England & see if you can find any images of gangways

There are video images of PS Waverley & gangways, however she is near twice the tonnage and a different build

With respect to established waterways, I simply meant the Sayyale would berth at passenger wharf's where shore side gangways may have been used?

Interesting to see that units of measure for deck rope were also listed or recorded in Fathoms
eg., 75 Fathoms of 7 1/2" [circumference] Tow Line

Derek
« Last post by Ilhan Gokcay on January 15, 2019, 10:06:57 PM »
Hello Derek, thanks for your helpful response.

The drawings 1,2,3,4 are cut out parts of the main deck and cross section drawings, I named them myself.
Yes, PS427-8 was built in England for Turkey. It's used as passenger ferry in Bhosporus.
(There are some other drawings which shows lifeboats ob both sides.)

I suppose that this gangway is a part of the deck (raised or not I don't know or seperate than the wood deck) for the passengers to step on. But how does it look like ?

By the way, what do you mean with "plied established waterways" ? Thats not clear for me.

Ilhan
« Last post by derekwarner_decoy on January 15, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
These are interesting questions Ilhran.....

1. The Drawing may have a file name of ''Deck Gangway 1, 2, 3 & 4", however I suggest this is only the chosen name saved, as you see they are detailed sectional Drawings of the Vessel and do include dimensional detail of the main deck timbers,and snapshots of lower or Tween Deck planking

2. It is acknowledged text reference is made to ''For Detail of Gangway see Separate Plan', however if you look at the image of the vessel and her elevation Drawing,it can be seen that the only provision of hoisting is FWD however the upper and lower deck plan would preclude the storage or and movement of any Gangway

3. Whilst not shown, it would be fair to believe that deck planking on the lower deck [including engine room] would have also been planked and with similar sectioned timbers

4. Was PS 427-8 built in England for the Turkish trade?......a vessel of such size would have only plied established waterways and routes, so would these destination wharves not had or used the shore based gangways?, or my best guess is disembarking via..."Double Chain Across & Ladder Portable " could this be the term Ladder being a gangway?

This last point is one that other members could possibly offer greater correction or clarification

It is also of mention, that not all detail is shown in or on Drawings......the image of Hale Seyyale on the water shows a davits & a lifeboat on the FWD Stdb side which [lifeboat] is not on any Plan

There is also a cluttered out of focus detail of horizontal dark object on the FWD Stdb side paddle sponson?.....could this be a Gangway in the stored position?

Derek

PS....reading the electronic Postcard Book on Budapest and the Bosphorus, it is clear that paddler ferries were of an immense and great importance to the transportation of the populace then and still today with alternate ferries....the story of Hale - Seyyale can be translated here

http://www.sualtigazetesi.com/?p=13634
Research / Seeking info about gangway on the deck of a SS
« Last post by Ilhan Gokcay on January 15, 2019, 05:45:45 AM »
Dear friends,

I have some original drawings of a steam paddle ship. The vessel is a passenger ferry paddle steamer. There is a point on the drawings which I have diffuculties to visualise as there are not sufficient info. It's about a gangway on the deck.
On the drawings, there is a gangway shown on the deck crossing midships aft/front the paddleboxes.
I'm trying to find out, how does it look like? Is it a simple second (higher) planking on the wood deck or ?
The only cross section view does not tell much but brings up one more questions i.e. "is there a wood planking around the engine room?"

Thanks again in advance for your opinions. 
« Last post by Hankwilliams on January 11, 2019, 11:20:41 PM »
Last week I got the 4 volumes Denny List, edited by the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. A unique work, one find plan sketches of many Denny built vessels between 1846 and 1960. Also many paddlers, most built for colonial rivers in Burma, India and Africa. It should be possible, to buy copies of the plans by the NMM.
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Re: Clean humour.
« Last post by DamienG on January 10, 2019, 03:47:21 PM »
One afternoon, two doctors from India were having an animated discussion.
"I say it's spelled 'W-H-O-O-M'," said the first Indian doctor.
"No, it is 'W-H-O-M-B'," said the other Indian doctor.
An American nurse passing by said, "Excuse me, you are both wrong.
It is spelled 'W-O-M-B'."
"Thank you nurse," said one of the doctors,
"but we prefer to settle this argument ourselves.
Besides, we don't
think you are in a position to describe the sound of an elephant passing wind under water."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10