Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Experimental hull no3 (the menna-shaped one) gets wheels...  (Read 12280 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Experimental hull no3 (the menna-shaped one) gets wheels...
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 08:34:38 AM »
I like it Mick - I hope we get some video of it on the water?
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 08:35:58 AM »
We will  :D
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 09:03:59 AM »
Good man Mick.... BTW, the forum and photo gallery will now handle a maximum file size of 4Mb (rather than the 2Mb limit we had on our old host), but I can still put larger files than that online to download if you send them to me via email to admin@paddleducks.co.uk that email account has a 20Mb inbox. For files even larger than that, email me first and I can increase my inbox size to suit - But email FIRST and wait for me to reply before sending files larger than 20Mb or they will be rejected!
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 09:18:50 AM »
Well, the weather hasn't looked good down here for 'sea trials' so I haven't got the boat ready to sail yet (probably after christmas now as the lake will be closed until then...) so here's some pics of my attempts to ballast it.....
Posted by Mick.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 09:25:19 AM »
Still looking good Mick.....

Just a word of warning - Don't do what I did when I first got into model boats and decided to ballast a model in the test tank (bath).... I filled it to the top, thinking that would be best to allow me to view the waterline clearly, only to sit there wondering why I'd flooded the bathroom when I added some weight to the model!!  :(

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 09:31:27 AM »
...the grey lump on the cargo deck is the intended ballast, about 3 ft of lead flashing 3 inch wide and about 1/8th inch thick. I expected the weight of the battery to be almost enough and just need a bit of lead here and there at the stern, to balance it out but to my surprise (because the battery is forward of the paddleshaft), the bows were sticking high above the intended waterline while the rudder was about right. So just as an early experiment I put all the lead in one piece on the cargo deck, this brought the bows down - but not quite enough! Also it brought the stern UP a bit so the whole vessel is still about half-an-inch too high in the water. I still have to add the receiver and its batteries (could use four C or D cells instead of AAs, for extra weight I suppose) plus a few fittings and fixtures but it still needs more wieght - and there's me thinking I'd have some lead left over for other models!
It is of course highly unstable in the pictures (you can't tell that though) but once the lead is cut into plates and layed in the 'bilges' it should help instead of hinder, the stability. I'm pleased with how it's turning out even though it will be somewhat heavier than expected  :?
Posted by Mick.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 09:35:16 AM »
Quote from: "Eddy Matthews"
....Don't do what I did.... I filled it to the top....I'd flooded the bathroom when I added some weight to the model!!  :(

I filled the bath/drydock just enough for the model to float at its waterline and used a small mirror to look under the sponsons. Even so, the photos are helpful as I can examine them at will without having to repeat the test...
Posted by Mick.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 09:18:34 AM »
While waiting for an improvement in the weather, I've busied myself with making some of the fittings and stuff for the model, and wiring it all up...
Posted by Mick.

Offline mjt60a

Re: Experimental hull no3 (the menna-shaped one) gets wheels...
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »
I can hardly beleive a year and a half has passed since the last update (and since I did anything to this model!) since my job changed - more work to get done in the day - I just don't seem to find the time to do as much as I'd like, still I haven't given up on it and here's the latest bits to be completed...
...I finally got around to making and fitting the bench seat that runs all round the 'passenger' deck and added the lifebelts on the railings. I have no idea how they're supposed to be held there (tied with ropes?) so made some cradles from thin brass sheet and soldered them on the railings. The lifebelts are then held in with 'araldite' or similar...
...the seat is just cut from 1/16th ply, lines drawn to represent the separate planks (with black ballpoint pen, if you push down hard enough it creates a groove as well...) then stained and varnished. the 'legs' are pieces of 1mm brass wire glued into holes in the deck and in a small strip of ply across the top on which the seat is then glued....it'll do...
Posted by Mick.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 08:48:53 PM »
Considering how "simple" the basic methods of construction are, I'm amazed at how well the model is turning out Mick. It really does look the business!

You are to be congratulated for producing a lovely little model, well done.  :trophy

Eddy

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 05:43:35 AM »
...some passengers and die-cast cars on the decks.  the cars are too heavy to use on this model and they and the people are a bit too modern for what I had in mind, they were bought with the idea of using on the 1/32 Tattershall Castle which would be modelled as in the 1960s - if I ever finish it!
Posted by Mick.

Offline PJ

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2021, 01:29:21 PM »
What a superb effort, Mick! Sixteen years since I discovered this little ferry and was delighted when you started your build which turned out so well. Not been to PD's for a long time but it's giving me much pleasure to see how it still thrives. Thanks to all who have continued this great and rare resource. All the best to my old PD mates!
PJ
(Lake Cowichan, BC Canada.)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2021, 10:25:26 PM »
Well...

Good morning , or Good evening PJ...........I had no idea you were still following this wonderful website you created?

regards
Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au