Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Introduce Yourself / Re: Hi
« Last post by DamienG on Today at 07:43:17 AM »
Welcome Rod any questions just ask Paddleducks has slowed considerably due to Covid however your questions will be answered.

Construction / Drive wheel questions.
« Last post by Rodsco on Today at 06:23:55 AM »
Hi All.Im scratch building a sternwheeler which will be driven by 12v motor with plastic chain drive.A couple of q's if I may...How do I prevent water from the drive wheel entering the hull around the hole in the rear wall that the chain passes through please?
Also..Roughly how much of the paddle depth should be in the water?
I intend to build a test hull which will allow vertical height adjustment of the wheel.
Thanks.
Introduce Yourself / Hi
« Last post by Rodsco on Today at 06:13:48 AM »
I'm Rod and live in UK.Having got back into model boats after 50 odd years,I've started a scratch build of a sternwheeler.
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Re: Paddle steamer on youtube.
« Last post by DamienG on November 28, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »
A very nice model.
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Re: Paddle steamer on youtube.
« Last post by Walter Snowdon on November 28, 2021, 04:43:44 AM »
furtter to the above. Apparently there is no model boat club at  Bushy park,  but a group of modellers sail there on a Sunday on an informal basis. This is maddening- I wont sleep tonight! The lego set-up is brilliant, only I cant work it out as a dfferential? seems to drive a second shaft and a chain drive I assume to drive the two beam engine arms which looks superb on the water. Pleese if any one from the bushy area who may know the builder put me in touch through paddleducks PLEASE or I will spit my dummy out and pour my cocoa all over the cat!. Regards walter.
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Paddle steamer on youtube.
« Last post by Walter Snowdon on November 28, 2021, 04:12:16 AM »
 Just found an interesting model paddler on youtube. It is listed as "paddle steamer at bushy park" and placed by richard barnett. It is a lovely model of PS UNICORN an early trans atlatic paddler operated by Cunard. What is more interesting the drive train is all LEGO and works extremely well!!! Regards, Walter.
Introduce Yourself / Re: Hello from Queensland
« Last post by derekwarner_decoy on November 27, 2021, 04:26:44 PM »
G'day Mick & welcome to PD's.............

Many years ago I considered a version of PS Oscar W.....the plans from Float a Boat are World Class....

[again, many years ago, I spent a few hours on board the Oscar W ...when she was tied up at the Goolwa Wharf

Keep us posted on  your progress

Derek  :beer
Introduce Yourself / Re: Hello from Queensland
« Last post by DamienG on November 27, 2021, 09:50:39 AM »
Welcome Mick, It's rather quiet at present I blame it on Covid restrictions not letting people out & about.

Though modelling is behind me (resident of nursing home in Bonnells Bay NSW.) My Son hosts Paddle Ducks for us.
Introduce Yourself / Hello from Queensland
« Last post by PaddleboxQ on November 27, 2021, 08:53:38 AM »
Hello everyone.
I’m Mick , I live in Queensland ,Australia.
I am an avid modeller in many things , with model railways being my primary hobby. I model,Queensland Railways in 1/64 scale…this generally means we have to make  just about everything we need , so I have learnt to cast , make moulds , build patterns ect. I’m currently about to learn cad so as to step up my game to 3D printing. 
  Boats have always been in the back ground. I had great grand fathers and grand fathers who were sea faring gents. I generally like the stand-off scale type as they look big on the water and I don’t have to squint…….  Glynn Guest plans abound in my files , and I find if you stray from his designs sometimes that there is plenty of wiggle room for modifying and super detailing his boats.
 I have a model of his blockade runner, it uses Meccano parts to run it, and this was the first  paddler I built.
 Currently ,with a mate ,we are about to build a pair of Murray River paddle boats.  I have chosen to , build the Oscar W . This model is close to 5 ft long when finished.
 With summer coming ..(Australian time ) I can think of nothing better than sitting by the pond in a park and just sailing away the afternoon with the grandson playing boats.
Thanks for the invite, Mick.
Chat & Off Topic Stuff / Re: coincidences
« Last post by optima21 on November 27, 2021, 08:07:01 AM »
think you've been lucky with events, its a shame though that the book in the second one was has gone "missing" and one day it may turn up again.

a few years ago I leant a book from the 1960's to a fiend and lost contact with him and I couldnt remember the name of the book or the author, so my chances of finding another copy were slim. In recent years I've started volunteering at the local industrial museum, and look on ebay for collectable items from local manufactures to donate to the museum. On of my searched was for Campbell Engine as they were a local company that made gas, oil and diesel engine upto the 1920's......and when I saw the cover of the book in the listing, I eventually got a copy when I found one at a reasonable price.

and speaking of campbell engines, there was a small series of postcards that were made that showed Christmas Decorations in the factory in December 1918 when they were still making war munitions. There has been one of these on Ebay for £19 for a few years now.  I did get one a couple of years ago for £6 but this came from Germany. I think this is more ironic than co-incindence. this was donated to the musuem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10