Forum > Paddler Collectables

Postcard of PS Wippingham

(1/1)

PaddleWheel:
Hello

Whilst rummaging through my Dad's photograph box, I stumbled upon a postcard of PS Wippingham, signed by the cheif engineer. My Dad said that it was given to him when he was 9 by the engineer when he went into the engine room. I'll post a picture on here soon.

Jack.

ancoaster78:
Hi Jack

Whippingham I think must have been a fantastic ship, there is a really excellent model of it at Horsted Keynes station on the Bluebell Railway, as a child I used to spend ages looking at its every details, I think that  must be where my interest in paddle steamers started, not that I knew it then!

Andy

Walter Snowdon:
 Whippingham Parish Church I believe still has a large collection of memorabilia on display, particularly regarding her wartime sevice. A call to trhe vicar will allow access to the hall, I was there three years ago and the lady vicar was very pleasant. Also, remember PS RYDE is only about a mile away.. If anyone is near the railway station mentioned above, could they take ( and post) several close up photos?. regards, Walter.

ancoaster78:
Thats worth knowing, I will have a look next time I get the chance! Doubt it will be for a while thought, esp if im gonna try get these piles of parts made into something resembling a boat in time for the next paddler day!

Lots of recent and very close up photos of Ryde on flickr.com, even some inside as well as outside.

Cheers, Andy

PaddleWheel:

--- Quote from: Walter Snowdon on December 15, 2008, 11:42:07 PM --- Whippingham Parish Church I believe still has a large collection of memorabilia on display, particularly regarding her wartime sevice. A call to trhe vicar will allow access to the hall, I was there three years ago and the lady vicar was very pleasant. Also, remember PS RYDE is only about a mile away.. If anyone is near the railway station mentioned above, could they take ( and post) several close up photos?. regards, Walter.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for telling me about the church, I have driven past it several times but have never been inside. It's like many things, you never seem to visit things right on your doorstep...

My Dad is going on the Golden Arrow on the Bluebell at some point early next year, I will get him to take some pictures.

Jack

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version