Forum > Introduce Yourself

PJ

(1/1)

PJ:
Hello to you all.

My name is Paul Jordan ("PJ" to all my Paddleducks friends) and I live in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada in the heart of the Pacific Northwest.  I am married and have three teenage boys and an assorted menagerie of animals including my Chilean tarantula spider, "Rosie" who lives right here on my computer desk!

I was born in the UK at Worthing, Sussex on the "Sunny South" and it was here that I have my earliest recollection of travelling on a paddle steamer.  I well remember her white funnel and the precarious boarding and disembarkation along her heaving narrow gangway as the English Channel swell lifted and dropped her alarmingly against her mooring at Worthing Pier.  It was to be many years later that I would revisit the wonderful world of paddle steamers when I acquired an old Radio controlled model of a 1:64 "Director" class paddle wheeler from a gentleman who had given up trying to get it to work properly. His frustration with the model was very much reflected in the very reasonable price he was asking!  

I stripped it down to the hull and started rebuilding the mechanics, concentrating entirely on the propulsion and control systems to make it operate as realistically and efficiently as possible.  It was here that I first learnt the complexities of model paddler building and after weeks of experimentation and pond testing I developed an excellent working model which performed flawlessly on the water.  I then wanted to share this with other paddle wheeler modelers and to compare our experiences.  I could find absolutely no web site nor forum on the internet dealing with the subject and that's when "Paddleducks" was born. Drawn together by "Director" Class paddle tugs,  I immediately met Eddy who has since been such an inspiration and integral part of the whole PD project.  Your moderators David, TJ and Walter have all been cornerstones and valuable contributors since those early days and it's strange to think we've all been at this for over 4 years now and, largely thanks to Eddy, going from strngth to strength! ...so a huge thanks to all of you who have made Paddleducks the largest and most active model paddlewheeler resource on the internet.  

These days I have very little time to actually build complete models owing to family commitments and hectic work schedules.  However I still read all the "Paddleducks" postings and constantly research obscure paddlers.  My modeling objectives are to source and work with new methods and materials that have an application to model paddle wheeler building.   I am fascinated by the use of construction foam in model paddlers and have had some excellent results with hulls.  Until I can get back into full time modeling, I'll try to inspire other  into researching and building the very best model paddlers they can, either static or operational.

My own modeling projects are focused on "Director" class paddle tugs, the excursion steamer "Worthing Belle" and, pride of the Newhaven-Dieppe cross Channel fleet, "Paris III".  I was recently given a magnificent scratch built R/C model of the paddle tug "Chieftain" by a British modelmaker, complete with twin oscillating steam engines, but I have yet to work out how to ship it to Canada.

My love of paddle steamers has brought me into contact with all kinds of wonderful people from all over the world thanks to the fabulous technology of the Internet which came at just the right time.  These people have without exception been incredibly generous with their knowledge and I am honored that so many respected researchers and talented modelers are little more than a mouse click away.   I still visit the old Yahoo Paddleducks website from time to time.  It's has been left in tact with it's substantial repository of useful information.  I so much enjoy reading old posts and exploring the files and images of models which are a timeless record of the era before the new PD Website and what brought most of us together.  As soon as life calms down a bit I'd like contribute more to this new "Paddleducks" website by writing reference articles on the dozens of topics which I believe many of you would find interesting.

I have an extensive library of Paddler books which I keep adding to with  great buys on "Ebay".   I also have a huge collection of photographs of paddlers which I struggle to keep organized for reference and I'm always pleased to assist anyone who is researching a special paddle wheeler or needs help with a modeling project.  My own major area of interest is British built paddlers of the late 19th Century and I have visited every museum in Scotland in search of original hull lines for these ships. I also love researching the history of paddlers in British Columbia and the Pacific North West.  My latest interest is the paddle steamers which either made Littlehampton, Sussex, their home port or were regular visitors there.  I always get so much help from the local Museums and the excellent Littlehampton Museum is no exception.  Small museums (usually staffed by volunteeers) are always tremendously helpful when they know you may be building a model of a ship which has some historical relevance to their area.

Unfortunately the "down" side of all this is that so many real paddle wheelers have disappeared and, as I contemplate the precious few that are left in the UK, I can't help thinking what an incredible oversight it has been to neglect this irreplaceable part of British Maritime history.  This heritage can only live on through "Medway Queen",  "John H. Amos" and "Ryde" who we hope so much will once again fire their engines and bring the same pleasure that "Waverley",  "Kingswear Castle" and more recently"Maid of the loch" have brought to thousands.  If only a page could be taken from the fabulous preservation record of our friends "down under" at Echuca or those on the Swiss Lakes. In the absence of real paddlewheelers this history has to be preserved by researchers, authors and particularly model builders who can create enduring images for future generations who have never seen nor heard of a steam engine.  The legacy of preserving these ships through accurate model building cannot be over emphasized enough.

So there we have it...a rather long-winded profile, but totally in character. for as my friend and colleague, Eddy Matthews, always says..."if it can be said in five words, PJ will use ten!"

As part of the moderating team..welcome to "Paddleducks"

PJ
aka Paul (Jordan)
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

thewharfonline:

--- Quote from: "PJ" ---

If only a page could be taken from the fabulous preservation record of our friends "down under" at Echuca...

--- End quote ---

I really think on these lines though that the preservation is only one step towards truly being able to know what these boats did for our country. The school system doesn't even recognise that they exsist! It's to our volunteers and enthusiasts that continue the tradition, because any day now as soon as interest disapears the steamers and all our hard work is gone again!

AlistairD:
I am Alistair Deayton from paisley in  Scotland. I am not a modeller, but have a strong interest in paddle steamers  throughout the world, especially surviivng ones.
 I am the author of "Steam Ships of Europe" (1988), the only  book to list all operating stem vessels in Europe, and I am working on a second  edition to copver the whole world
 I have a large variety of books on steamers and passenger  vessels, in many alnguages, and last week got my first Estonian book on EBay, on  the preserved icebreaker Suur Toll

Alistair

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version