Forum > Introduce Yourself

Chris aka uppergully26

(1/1)

uppergully26:
Hi all,

My name is Chris and I'm a uni student (but only til the end of the year!) from Melbourne Victoria. I developed a love for the Murray Riverboats during many family holidays up on the river at Echuca, Swan Hill, Cobram, Albury ect, in fact we used to go up there just about every year!

I guess this was generally borne out of my interest in steam power in general, both in the water, on rails and in the farms or on roads. I have since achieved my Boiler Certificate and am a Fireman on the local preserved railway (Puffing Billy for those of you playing at home). One day I hope to do a bit of firing on the river but my studies and 3 hour travelling time have so far thwarted those ideas, hopefully some time in the future!  

As far as boat modelling goes I have yet to do any, but I was entranced by a live steam model of the PS Adelaide built by a member of the Melbourne Model Boat Club at a local steam rally and have wanted to build one ever since. I love the history of the river towns and the river stories and have collected a few books and videos on the Australian side of the hobby.

So that's a little bit about me,

Cheers,

Chris

derekwarner_decoy:
Hi Chris - from Wollongong NSW & on behalf of our PD Australian contingent "welcome on board" [I think we have some 5 Australian members & 2 cousins in NZ]

There is certainly a mystic with our unique Australian paddle vessels & I fly to Adelaide a few times per year & catch up on the latest sights at Goolwa or Mannum or the like etc

Best wishes with your studies - stay with them & you will be fine & if you can balance some paddle work in between great!

If you get the opportunity to talk with the Melbourne Model Boat Club member again please let that person know about our PD group - every PD member would be interested to hear about a steam  powered model of our  PS Adelaiede -  Derek

thewharfonline:
Ah you know I think you and me are the youngest here Chris hehehe and we both seem to have fallen in love with the boats the same way...I am usually up in echuca every year!

This year I'm doing work experience up there and will hopefully after school do a shipwright appreticeship up there! then I'll get my steam boiler ticket and my mates ticket and my masters ticket and build a paddler and then I'll be retired and can cruise the rest of my life away lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version