Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ideas for future builds  (Read 17252 times)

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
Re: Ideas for future builds
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2021, 07:21:14 PM »
OK. Yes you are right. Probably makes them more economical as river freighters.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2021, 11:18:11 PM »
I now have drawn the plans for Rhone freight steamer (Porteur du Rhone) "Ocean". The scale is in 1 : 98, so the model`s lenght will be in 1 : 49 scale 320 cm. The very long, flat and narrow hull should be build in this larger scale because of the weight of the steam plant. Deplacement would be no more than 8 - 9 kg.
The original boat has had a giant lying monocylinder high pressure engine with bore of 2 m and 2,5 m stroke and two big boilers side by side. The paddlewheels has had 6,2 m diameter with 16 rigid paddles.
The model should be build in 3 pieces for transport - not very difficult with this flat narrow hull.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2021, 06:39:52 AM »
Original plan of big monocylinder engine of Porteur "Missouri" with valve gear, similar to american engines of that time. Midship section of "Ocean" and dimensions. With 3,20 m lenght this will be my longest model I ever build. Build will probably start in autumn. Compared with the "Colonel Lamb" I expect a rather simple build.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2021, 02:18:07 AM »
Back from a trip to France, specially to Rhone valley and Rhone delta. In Tournon sur Rhone I visited the Chateau Musee with some models of Rhone steamers in scale 1 : 100 to 1 : 33. The model of Missouri is more than 4 m long. Very interesting in relation to my projected build of porteur "Mediterranee" also their model - may be not very well build, but good for information of details.

Thomas

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2021, 05:27:19 PM »
Really fascinating pictures; thanks for posting.