Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Paddlewheels/Drive Systems / Re: BOILER TYPE ?
« Last post by Bierjunge on October 14, 2021, 07:07:32 PM »
Most western river steamboats hat locomotive-type horizontal boilers due to their comparatively low weight.
I highly recommend Alan Bates' two standard books "The Western Rivers Steamboat Cyclopoedium" and "The Western Rivers Engineroom Cyclopoedium" including a multitude of drawings invaluable for the modeller.

Moritz
Paddlewheels/Drive Systems / BOILER TYPE ?
« Last post by Robert Hornby on October 10, 2021, 04:56:19 PM »
I am thinking of extending my engine room model to include a "fake" boiler. Anyone any thoughts on what type of boiler boiler paddle wheelers used ?  i.e. Cylindrical horizontal or rectangular scotch boiler type?  Also I am assuming that most of them would have used timber for fuel rather than coal.
Bob
Paddlewheels/Drive Systems / Re: PADDLEWHEEL RPM ?
« Last post by Robert Hornby on October 10, 2021, 04:50:50 PM »
Thanks Hank, My model will not be going in a boat, it is just a stand alone model of an engine room and drive mechanism to the paddle. It will never see water.
So my simple question is " Is 60 rpm for the paddle wheel about right to look OK. ?
I need to work out the gearing and chose a slow motor, but that will not be a problem.
Bob
Paddlewheels/Drive Systems / Re: PADDLEWHEEL RPM ?
« Last post by Hankwilliams on October 10, 2021, 05:19:14 AM »
To write anything substantial about your problem I need some dimensions: What`s the diameter of the wheel and what`s bore and stroke of the engine? Is the engine running well, if wheel is out of water? How strong was the pressure? For example my own experience: For direct driving paddlewheel of diameter of 150 mm, one needs an engine stroke of ca. 35  mm.

Thomas
Paddlewheels/Drive Systems / PADDLEWHEEL RPM ?
« Last post by Robert Hornby on October 08, 2021, 02:28:42 PM »
I have finished my model of my interpretation of what the engine room of the ferry General Gordon may have looked like. It was intended to be a fully working model driven by compressed air. However I cannot got it to run and the reason I believe is a lack of flywheel inertia. In real life the paddle wheels would have been heavy enough to act as the flywheel but weight cannot be scaled for a model hence the conundrum.
So I am changing tack completely and will drive it via an electric motor from below. My question is am I close to thinking that 60 RPM for the paddle wheel will be about right ?

Paddlewheels/Drive Systems / RPM reduction and other quandries
« Last post by Andy F on October 08, 2021, 10:23:47 AM »
This might seem like a daft question but is there some sort of magic formula that can be applied for fitting one motor to one paddle wheel for a particular speed range?

Forget the 6 shaft monstrosity I was alluding to the other day, this one will have one wheel centrally mounted and I'm wondering about the best way of delivering power to the wheel using most likely a 385 motor and a 7.2v nimh.
I don't really want to go down the rubber band route if I can help it. If that was the only option then I'd prefer chain drive but I'm really more leaning towards gears or similar. Altogether a more 'solid' feeling.

For anyone who feels the need to know, the model will be roughly 32" long and the paddle will probably be around the 3" diameter 2"wide mark and I'm looking for a  roughly walking pace cruising speed.

I think what I'm really asking here is what would be the ideal RPM for a wheel that big for a believable model speed.

Any ideas?
Paddleducks Website/Forum / Re: Leakage: Minimising thereof.
« Last post by Spankbucket on October 07, 2021, 03:46:45 AM »
Thank you so much; I appreciate your comments very much.

I am currently going through a severe attack of creative writing and a strain of it popped out here!
« Last post by Andy F on October 06, 2021, 07:30:43 PM »
That made me smile. I've not seen a finer example of pleonastic polysemy and synonym usage in a long time.

Well done Sir 8)
« Last post by Spankbucket on October 06, 2021, 05:27:35 PM »
I would stow your concerns regarding the approbation of those arborial clasping bigots! Any reaction you provoke in them is indeed a pink sea fish!

Any one these days would use a vegetable oil by definition so their false arguments are irrelevant.

What about a nice drop of Italy's finest?

Or are there surrogate flesh eaters out there that wish to preserve turnips?!
« Last post by derekwarner_decoy on October 06, 2021, 08:21:10 AM »
This is a Grade 316 S/S shell + ZZ shields bearing to suit a 1/4" shaft........[smaller sizes are available]

Bearings would be available from any bearing distributor, alternatively available complete in the miniature Plummer Block from SPD/SI in America [or SPD/SI distributors World wide]

ZZ stainless shaft bearings are not listed as waterproof, however delete the ZZ designation & substitute 2RS for a synthetic seal which is listed as hose down proof [for the food industry]

I understand our applications [shaft above water level, but splashed on], generally would not see a lot of water in their life time, however as shiny & cheap carbon steel bearings maybe, I would be hesitant in using them in conjunction with water

Keep us posted on a 3 shaft Paddler?

Derek

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10